Bar, Mexican Restaurant
Maria Isabel Restaurant at La Vieja Posada
2350 people have been here
Mon-Fri: 09:00 - 21:00
Sat: 09:00 - 02:00
Sun: 09:00 - 21:00
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Drinks, Coffee
- Good For Groups
- Good For Kids
- Outdoor Seating
- Takes Reservations
- Waiter Service
- Walk-Ins Welcome
Parking Lot parking
Family restaurant located on Lake Chapala and one of the most emblematic spots of Ajijic: The Vieja Posada. Located right at the entrance to the ¨Malecón de Ajijic¨ The best lake views and Cadillac margaritas! Give us a call to make a reservation!
AXIXQUE (Nahuatl) Rock where the water diverges. It was a part of the Cutzalan Kingdom under the reign of King Xitomatl.
1522 it was conquered by the Spanish Captain Avalos.
1530 What is known now as Ajijic was a grand tequila hacienda called Hacienda del Cuije, owned by the Saenz family. What today is the Posada Ajijic was the head front of the hacienda.
1912 The hacienda was divided into small lots of common land.
1923 Don Casimiro Ramírez, a lawyer who lives in Guadalajara but is a judge in Chapala, buys the hacienda from Mr. Pedro Saenz and becomes a partner with Mr. Jose Casillas, who is from Ajijic. They begin to produce high-quality coffee that is exported to Germany.
1930 The first foreigner that is remembered arrives in Ajijic, Alex Mehner, an Austrian with noble origins and an amazing musician that plays the cello.
Also at this time, Ajijic welcomes Louis Heuer, a writer, her brother Paul Alemanes; the famous ballet dancer, Zara Alexayewa; along with her mother and brother, Hoger Mehner.
1932 Gold is found in the nearby mountains and the Posada Ajijic is turned into a gold and other metals refinery under the guidance of Ing. Toledo.
1935 A combustion motor is brought from Germany to water the coffee plantation and to be used in the nixtamal mill operated by Mr. Ramon Plascencia and Jose "El Flaco". This mill was closed in 1952.
1938 Mr. Harry Stansbury Millet and his son Nigel arrive and stay at the hacienda. They suggest the name "Posada Ajijic". The dining room is built to feed the guests and the Posada Ajijic is officially born.
Nigel Millet wrote his book "Village on the Sun", under the pseudonym Dane Chandos and Neil James (1943) using his articles about Ajijic that were published in Life Magazine, making the village of Ajijic famous worldwide.
1939 Posada Ajijic is now an exclusive hotel.
1950 The hotel is registered officially under Arnold-Peter S.A.
1953 The posada is turned over to Bob Tyler, who announces it as a rejuvenating home attracting many foreign tourists. The health department investigates and closes it down. Bob Tyler is sent to jail.
1957 Mr. Sherman Harris takes over, a previous manager of a Disneyland hotel, and builds the pool, opens the bar, and remodels the rooms.
1970 The Waterberry spouses take over. Due to their alcoholism, they failed and the hotel closed in 1974 for six months.
1975 The Eager family arrives from Canada. With their hard work, they revive the posada, establishing traditions and quality standards that will last a lifetime.
1990 The Eager family move to their new business, La Nueva Posada, and Mr. Roberto Cuevas takes over the now abandoned business.
1991 Mr. Javier Mercado takes over the Posada Ajijic.
November 14, 2013, A new era at the Posada Ajijic begins when the Cornejo Aguilar family purchases the business. It is renamed: Maria Isabel Restaurant at la Vieja Posada.