Sports Club, Stadium, Arena & Sports Venue
Miramar Bowling Club
221 people have been here
- Good For Groups
- Takes Reservations
- Take Out
- Walk-Ins Welcome
Parking Lot parking, Street parking
Miramar Bowling Club 33 Puriri Street, Miramar, Wellington, 6022 Public Evenings: Come along for the community bowls night on Wednesdays at 6pm or drop by for a bar meal and drinks Friday evenings.
Founded 1946, the Miramar Bowling Club was born from a sponsored meeting held on the 27th November 1945, after 40 men, with the support of the Wellington Bowling Centre, negotiated with the Wellington City Council to lease the land as the southern end of Miramar Park.
The club was opened for play on one green in 30th November 1946 and Welling Mayor Sir W. Appleton rolled the first bowl, to a kitty that had been delivered by Mrs Calnon, wife of the Club’s President.
The Pavilion was brought onto the site from the Centennial Exhibition ready for the 1948 Season.
Membership reached 286 in 1950s, but has fluctuated and an average of 130 bowlers have been maintained, with an increasing social membership.
In 1983 Miramar had the first Pro-Am bowling tournament in Wellington. The event was only the fourth of its kind in New Zealand. The prize money was $2000. The Ladies’ Section was the headquarters for the first New Zealand Women’s Tournament in 1951
The club continues to grow as a bowling and recreational facility for all the members of the Miramar Community